Veteran TIPster Allen Esterson is cited in The Telegraph's obituary
of Frank Cioffi, the pioneering critic of Freud:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9026176/Professor-Frank-Cioffi.html

But not in the New York Times obit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/books/frank-cioffi-philosopher-and-critic-of-
freud-dies-at-83.html

"Mr. Cioffi's first essay on Freud, in 1970, argued that Freud's
writing had more in common with Renaissance poetry and the mystical
parts of the Bible than with scientific research. Freud, he wrote,
first had inspirations and insights, then voiced them through the
stories of patients - whether they reflected his patients' real
stories or not.[...]  'Quite often we do not succeed in bringing
the patient to recollect what has been repressed,' Freud said.
'Instead, we produce in him an assured conviction of the truth of
the construction, which achieves the same therapeutic result as a
recaptured memory.'"

  --Charles S. Harris, PhD
    Middletown, NJ
    xch...@gmail.com