Ed--

These observations are consistent with your point, but do not prove it.
I'd still like to see something more rigorous.
I'm not denying that ECT -may- work, but given the fact that it's a bit of a
blunt instrument with serious potential side effects, I'd like to see stronger
support.

On Mar 20, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Pollak, Edward (Retired) wrote:

>  Paul Brandon  wrote, "And then there's the hypothesis that people change the
> way that they talk about themselves in order to avoid going through it again."
> That bit of nonsense has been around for many years despite extensive
> evidence against it and virtually no supporting evidence. I wish that
> instructors would stop promoting this absurd hypothesis. I've been listening
> to this humanistic clap trap for 40 years and it really needs to end.
> The most obvious disconfirming observations include a) ECT is equally
> effective whether the treatment is given "eyes open" or under general
> anesthesia.  If the "avoidance hypothesis" is correct, one would predict that
> ECT given "eyes open" would be far superior to ECT given under general
> anesthesia. b) The fact that ECT is decidedly ineffective in most other
> disorders. If depressives change there behavior to avoid "going through it
> again" then why wouldn't that be true of patients with schizophrenia, mania,
> OCD, etc., etc.?
> Ed

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology