In"Michael Sylvester asked, "Whatever happened to Comparative Psychology?

As one of the owner/editors of the Comparative Psychology Newsletter (on
YahooGroups) I think I can answer that question but it's complex.

One the one hand, it is often said to be subsumed under the banners of "animal
behavior" or "sociobiology" or "ethology.  While that is somewhat correct, it's
also a bit misleading. I've been amazed at how sparse "animal behavior" texts
are on animal learning & cognition, the heart of traditional comparative
psychology. When we were hiring for my replacement (I retired last June in case
you missed all the celebratory whooping & hollering coming fro my house) and I
was amazed to find that very few applicants came from what I would call a
comparative psychology program. They came either from biology or physical
anthropology programs or they came from (psychology) cognition programs. It
turns out that as the Zeitgeist has shifted from Skinnerian-Thorndikean
concepts in animal learning to the study of cognition & consciousness,
traditional comparative psychology has been absorbed into the fields of
cognitive psychology. . Some of the animal behavior texts don't even mention
cognitive psychology and basically define ethology as "the study of animal
behavior."  Of course, these are also the texts that has no chapters on animal
cognition and almost nothing on primates. In fact, books such as these tend
spend 90% of their time on "inframammalian" species.

There are a few "Comparative Psychology" texts but frankly, I find them too
narrrow (weak on evolution/sociobiology) and so detail-driven that you lose the
beauty that is animal behavior.

Just my 2 cents.

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
http://home.comcast.net/~epollak/<http://home.comcast.net/%7Eepollak/>
Husband, father, grandfather, bluegrass fiddler, banjoist &
biopsychologist............... in approximate order of importance