An alternative to the kind of psychotherapy practised by some of those
quoted in the article in the WSJ is enunciated in one of the online
comments, from Dr Michael DeMarco:

"There are lots of therapists who will gladly let you come to their
office one (or 3- I'm looking at you, psychoanalysts) times a week to
"blow off steam". The thing is, simply talking about every negative
thing that has ever happened to you just keeps you stuck in that
negative thinking.

[…]

"So a therapist who is going to say "Uh huh, and how does that make you
feel?" or "Uh huh, and how was your relationship with your mother", run
the other way. But a therapist who is going to help you put you back in
your driver's seat through active work in the therapy room (and
hopefully in a non-judgmental and humorous way) to help you identify
faulty thinking and challenge it to replace it with something more
rational and less self-defeating will have you in and out of therapy
before you can say Freud."

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London