Pirated copies are easily available on the internet of Shadish's update, too.

Bill Scott

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:08:04 -0700, Karl LvWuensch wrote:
>          One of my online students has queried me regarding why psychology
>textbooks are not available in portable, digital format (like Kindle).  He
>travels a lot, and lugging around hardcopies of texts or relying on unreliable
>Internet service for online texts has been a pain in his posterior.  Have you
>any idea why textbook publishers have been so reluctant to provide textbooks in
>this format?

There are two different questions here:

(1) Do publishers provide electronic copies of their textbooks?

The answer is mostly yes for popular textbooks.  Coursesmart is one
source:

http://instructors.coursesmart.com/

The problem is that one needs a decent internet connection to access
the texts.  This might be a problem for some students but it become a
time management issue instead of an access issue (i.e., make time
to have access to a good internet source, like your local Starbucks).

(2)  Do publishers provide electronic copies, like PDFs that can be
easily copied to other users?

No.  As soon as an electronic article, chapter, or book is available
as a PDF or similar format, the publisher loses control over who can
access that copy.  They are in the profit making business and they're
not going to make copies that can be easily traded (though you as the
instructor, and having no fear of copyright infringement, can readily provide
electronic copies if you make the effort).

With regard to to the cost of Campbell and Stanley on Amazon, let's
get real.  It was originally  published as a chapter in a handbook and
photocopying/scanning in the pages of a copy is far more efficient
(especially if there is a copy in the library or on reserve) even if it is
a copyright violation -- I'm not suggesting the instructor do this but
if this is mentioned to the students, well, we can't control what our
student do, cam we?.  In any event, Shadish's update is superior in
many ways (e.g., using propensity scores for adjusting nonequivalent
groups) and is a better buy.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: wsc...@wooster.edu.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13058.902daf6855267276c83a639cbb25165c&n=T&l=tips&o=19332