----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul C Bernhardt" <pcbernha...@frostburg.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:47:29 PM
Subject: Re: [tips] FW: Wetakeyourclass.com

We tried to use a service called Acxiom Identity Tool
(http://www.acxiom.com/identity-solutions/) a few years back but discontinued
because we had problems with it being slow. The idea was for it to have access
to the university database of information on a student (address, telephone
number, etc.) and develop a random set of questions for each testing attempt by
a student. It also used public databases. So, for instance, it might develop a
question that is: How many bedrooms does your home have? It would develop the
answer from your address in the university computer system, matched with the
public records database that shows what kind of house is there. It sounds very
nifty and workable on the surface, but apparently was not something we were
willing to pay for. Our experience was in 2010, which is forever in technology,
so it might be much better now. It is still in business, which is encouraging.

Paul

On Sep 13, 2012, at 3:33 PM, MiguelRoig wrote:

> Dear Tipsters, while we really don't know whether this site is for real, the
> notion of paying others to take exams has been around for a while. In fact,
> just last year we had several cases in Long Island that made headline news:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/education/on-long-island-sat-cheating-was-hardly-a-secret.html?pagewanted=all.
>  So, why not pay for taking an entire course, especially if it is as easy as
> given the impostor access to their school email, their passwords, etc? My
> sense is that whether this particular site is the real McCoy or not, such
> commercial services can be easily envisioned given the continuing growth of
> online education. My question for those of you who teach online courses is
> this: What measures have you set up and are willing to share that can cut
> back on the possibility of this and other types of cheating in the online
> environment?
>
> Miguel
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: pcbernha...@frostburg.edu.