Was this discussed on tips when it came out in April? I was gone and may have
missed a conversation. I guess I had better check the archives. If not, here it
is now:

Pre-Med’s New Priorities: Heart and Soul and Social Science

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/education/edlife/pre-meds-new-priorities-heart-and-soul-and-social-science.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

We can all rest assured that the MCAT is now going to assess psychology, to
make sure that applicants to medical school are well-grounded in understanding
human behavior. Read that statement as sarcastic! Here are some snippets from
the above linked article on what the new MCAT will assess as the important
areas of psychology:

"How to prepare pre-med students long primed to answer questions like “Where
are the serotonin receptors 5-HT2A and 5-HT2B mostly likely to be located in
hepatocytes” to tackle more ambiguous challenges, like: “Which of the following
explanations describes why the Identity vs. Role Confusion stage likely affects
views about voting and being a voter?”

and:

"Three components of emotion (cognitive, physiological, behavioral).
Universal emotions (fear, anger, happiness, surprise, joy, disgust and
sadness).
Adaptive role of emotion.
Theories of emotion (James-Lange theory, Cannon-Bard theory, Schachter-Singer
theory). "

I am so happy to know that the most important things a premed student can learn
from psychology is Erikson (which I never teach any longer in favor of more
current and empirically supported information on development),
James-Lange/Cannon-Bard and Schachter-Singer (which I never teach any longer in
favor of more currenta nd empirically supported information on development) and
all those emphases on emotion (which I barely touch on in favor of other
material).

So I guess if a premed student takes intro psych from me...well, drat! They
still might not pass the psych items on the MCAT. I wonder in the big picture
of an intro psych class how much value there will be here for the premeds.

Of course, the more difficult question might be, if not this stuff then what
should be on the test?

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences