Hi all,

Chris Green sent a link to an example of a spurious correlation between rises
in autism rates and sales of organic foods. I've rarely seen such high
correlations in real-world data, so I felt compelled to check the reports to
make sure the data used to calculate the correlation coefficient were accurate.
It took a little time to find all the data used in the graph (the organic-food
data were in several places online), but the correlation of 0.997 is correct!

Oddly, the organic-food data changed slightly between the 2009 and 2011 surveys
(actually, the change first appeared in the 2010 survey data). Beginning in
2004, the amount increased slightly:

                2009 Data               2011 Data
2002            8,635           8,635
2003            10,381          10,381
2004            11,902          12,002
2005            13,831          14,223
2006            16,718          17,221
2007            19,807          20,410

I didn't feel like searching through the summary reports to see if there was an
explanation. The only effect on the correlation coefficient was to make it
negligibly higher (0.998).

Best,
Jeff
Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.