I used to have a yellow lab who could do those things. He first learned to
push open the sliding door. Then I watched him as he pushed up the lock, so
I bought a gate hook for it. He learned to open that with his nose, push up
the lock, and then open the slider. I finally got a gate hook with a spring
latch and he couldn't quite manipulate that. He loved to get out and run
around the neighborhood. Yes, he was a smart dog, but I think it was
self-shaping. That was before the wonders of Youtube, though.
Carol

--
Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology