Hi Carol,
I agree with Beth. I use power point to limit my story-telling and to stick to
the purpose of the class. I use video and music in all my presentations. Which
also means that are gigantic. But when I talk social psych and can show clips
of Jim Jones (radio clip) and Dave Koreshen....it still knocks my socks off!
Worth publishers has a set of ppts for Intro that have embedded video. I also
have a copy of them,but I do not use them in class.
I also have available to my students a "clean" set of ppt with missing
sentences and words which makes coming to class important.

Jim

Jim Matiya
FGCU Dunk City, Florida

Sent from my iPad

On May 23, 2013, at 8:23 PM, "Beth Benoit" <beth.ben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carol,
> I love PowerPoint, but always create my own, try to insert humor, keep them
> brief - as Joe Friday used to say, "Stick to the facts, ma'am!" - and work to
> keep them current.
>
> A couple of bonuses are:  they help me keep on topic (I have a tendency to
> digress onto favorite side topics) and they give me an excuse to cut off
> those occasional students (thankfully, I don't have many) who want to go on
> and on off topic.  I just pull up the next slide and say (sweetly) that we
> need to get back on track.
>
> Is there any particular topic you're looking for, Carol?  I have my own
> PowerPoints for just about every Intro, Social, Child, Human Dev. topic and
> would be happy to share.  I also put them on Moodle when teaching in the
> classroom (at Plymouth State) and in my online classes (at Granite State).  I
> used to print them out and hand out to students, but with Moodle, it's now up
> to the students to use them in any way that works for them.  Saves on paper,
> especially in the larger Intro classes.
>
> Surely there are a few of us who remember Joe Friday - dum, da-dum DUM - from
> "Dragnet."
>
> Beth Benoit
> Granite State College
> Plymouth State University
> New Hampshire
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Carol DeVolder <devoldercar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> Dear TIPSters,
>> I will try to be more specific and less vague this time. I find myself
>> needing to create a set of Power Point slides to correspond with a book
>> chapter. The problem is, I hate Power Point, and I generally avoid if if I
>> can; unfortunately, I can't avoid it in this situation. Does anyone have a
>> particularly good set of slides he or she would be willing to share with me
>> so I have an example of what good ones should look like? Barring that, does
>> anyone have any how-to tips or resources to point me toward?
>> Thanks,
>> Carol
>>

>> --
>> Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.
>> Professor of Psychology
>> St. Ambrose University
>> 518 West Locust Street
>> Davenport, Iowa  52803
>> 563-333-6482
>>

>> ---
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to tips as: beth.ben...@gmail.com.
>>
>> To unsubscribe click here:
>> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aaf72&n=T&l=tips&o=25707
>>
>> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>>
>> or send a blank email to
>> leave-25707-13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aa...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
>>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: jmat...@hotmail.com.

> [...]