I agree that this is worrisome. And the attack continues:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2013/130531b.html

-Don.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul C Bernhardt" <pcbernha...@frostburg.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Saturday, June 1, 2013 1:50:19 AM
Subject: [tips] Field under siege

I am starting to feel that our field is under siege. Worst thing about my
feelings is that I think it may be justified. With the several instances of
research fraud, the infamous Bem article… and now this. These articles needed a
lot of work to be publishable anywhere, much less in Psychological Science.

The first one is filled with loose use of causal language, statements of
factual knowledge of the participants rather than indicating it was their
reported information which preserves the idea that it may or may not be
completely accurate. This guy is quite appropriately raking the field over the
coals for its publication in Psychological Science.

http://andrewgelman.com/2013/05/17/how-can-statisticians-help-psychologists-do-their-research-better/

The second one he trashes is due to the poor attention to methodological
deficiencies that are actually revealed by careful examination of the
statistical analyses, but that did not get proper play in the paper.  More
improper use of causal language in an obviously correlation set of studies is
also criticized.

http://andrewgelman.com/2013/05/29/another-one-of-those-psychological-science-papers/

We need to do better, as a field. If we genuinely want to be a science, we had
better start acting like one.

Paul

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: dap...@shaw.ca.