On Jul 26, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Mike Palij wrote:

> P.S. Re: Stewart: as the article cited below notes, the quote associated
> with Stewart was a popular view long before he is claimed to have said it
> as noted by Gerald Pier to wrote a letter in response to one of Spellberg's
> earlier papers...

Yes, I agree. In fact, Bonnie Taylor-Blake, the co-author of the paper I
referenced yesterday, said as much in a post she sent this morning to another
listserv I subscribe to:

"A few years ago I traded emails with a journalist who had been involved early
on in the transmission of this misattribution. In the end she offered that even
if the former Surgeon General had not said, in effect, that because of
mid-century advances in medicine we could stop worrying about the specter of
infectious disease, this view was common among U.S. physicians ca. 1970, which
for her was the larger point.  Therefore, William H. Stewart, who had a pretty
stellar record as Surgeon General, serves as a convenient scapegoat."

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Scottsdale Community College