From: Tim Shearon <tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu>
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Tue, Aug 13, 2013 2:52 pm
Subject: RE: [tips] Sanjay Gupta on "Why I changed my mind on weed"

Nancy
You make a very valid point. His original position does not reflect good
critical thinking either. If all he is saying is that he wants to be more open
minded, and to suggest that his earlier position was ill supported, then I’d
agree with him.J Certainly it hasn’t as you point out, done the population-wide
damage of tobacco or ethanol (both of which also have research showing positive
effects in some ways- e.g., protection from Parkinson’s and beneficial stress
reduction effects of moderate use, respectively).J Clearly one could not come
out in blanket approval of nicotine based on Parkinson’s given the population
effects of cancer and heart disease. (I should stop- I’m starting to ramble as
I try to get out the door to get a new lap-top).J Everyone have a great Monday
evening.
Tim

Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chairperson, Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker