Also helpful.  So, to answer my own previous question, based on what they found
in the correlational study and what one might guess from previous research, I'm
going to assume that the effect size here, if it exists, is probably small.  So
I used .3 in G*Power.  The result?  G*Power suggests that I get 242 subjects
per group.  These researchers had 26 subjects in each group.

So: if you were the reviewer what would you conclude?  The researchers found:

"...the results revealed that participants in the anthropomorphism condition
were tendentially less willing to help the victims of the natural disaster (M =
4.39, SD = 1.02) than participants in the control condition (M = 4.89, SD =
0.87), t(50) = –1.91, p = .06, d = 0.53.

Would you recommend that they get more subjects?

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: @mbritt

On Aug 27, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Stuart McKelvie <smcke...@ubishops.ca> wrote:

> Dear Tipsters,
>
> There are various ways to plan sample size. When teaching this in research
> methods, I divide the issues into two parts:
>
> 1. Estimation of population values.
> Here, more is better but there are diminishing returns. Think of the fact
> that we rarely see more than 1500 people in national polls and surveys. The
> formula is based on minimizing standard error. Of course, sampling is
> critical.
>
> 2. Conducting studies with variables: experimental, subject or correlational.
> There are four interconnected concepts: effect size, alpha, power and sample
> size. When any three are known, the fourth is determined. You can decide
> where to set alpha and power. For effect size (d), you can be guided by
> Cohen's guidelines for small, medium and large (.3, .5, .8) and choose the
> value you are looking for. This may come from past research or, in its
> absence, what you think is interesting theoretically or practically.
>
> Cohen's book on power analysis gives tables where you can look up the sample
> size needed after specifying the values you choose. There is also this
> webiste:
> http://homepage.stat.uiowa.edu/~rlenth/Power/
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Stuart

>  Sent via Web Access
>
>                                    "Floreat Labore"
>
>                       "Recti cultus pectora roborant"
>
> Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,     Phone: 819 822 9600 x 2402
> Department of Psychology,         Fax: 819 822 9661
> Bishop's University,
> 2600 rue College,
> Sherbrooke,
> Québec J1M 1Z7,
> Canada.
>
> E-mail: stuart.mckel...@ubishops.ca (or smcke...@ubishops.ca)
>
> Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:
> http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
>
>                                   " Floreat Labore"

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=27379
or send a blank email to