I'm sorry but I don't understand how one can "think critically" without knowing
a lot facts. I've had too many experiences with 1st year students thinking that
their thoughts, based on a lack of facts, is as valid as anyone else's opinion.
My experience is that once you have learned the basic (and often conflicting)
evidence in a given field, critical thinking comes (almost) as a matter of
course. It's analogous to what happens with education majors, inundated with
pedagogy courses but with a dearth of content courses with those pesky little
facts. What we do NOT need are more teachers wasting time on topics  like
self-esteem, self-regulation, etc. Teach them knowledge!

Your Resident Old Curmudgeon

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
http://home.comcast.net/~epollak/
Husband, father, grandfather, bluegrass fiddler, banjoist &
biopsychologist............... in approximate order of importance

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=27658
or send a blank email to
leave-27658-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu