Rosenhan was, of course, best known for his 1973 paper  “On Being Sane in
Insane Places.”

What is little known to psychologists (I have often wondered if Rosenhan knew)
is that WAY back in 1887 a reporter for Joseph Pulitzer's New York World
newspaper named Nellie Bly arranged (by acting "crazy" at her boarding house)
to get herself transported to the Women's Lunatic Asylum on Blackwell's Island.
Although the police concluded that she had been drugged, the physicians
declared her to be "positively demented" and locked up with the other... uh...
inmates. She stayed for 10 days, taking notes on the terrible conditions that
existed within. On the basis of these she wrote an exposé for The World which
was transformed into an illustrated the book, Ten Days in a Madhouse. The book
is here: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/bly/madhouse/madhouse.html

There is a mental Floss article about her "adventure" here:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/29734/ten-days-madhouse-woman-who-got-herself-committed
And, of course, there is a Wikipedia page about her:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly

The outcry caused by her articles caused the city of New York to pour a million
(1887) dollars more into caring for the insane. It is important to note that
this all happened three years BEFORE Jacob Riis did his famous photographic
exposé of New York's slums called How the Other Half Lives. (the flash bulb was
invented between the two events). Bly went on to do a series of articles on
conditions at the Pullman Train Factory in Chicago, where one of the most
violent strikes of the "Gilded Age" took place in 1894.

Historically yours,
Chris
---
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Canada

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/
=========================

On 2013-09-17, at 10:51 AM, Jim Matiya wrote:

> I just received the September 2013 copy of American Psychologist. In it, is
> the obituary of David Rosenhan.
> The Stanford Law School posted a story as well, click here:
> http://tinyurl.com/mgo6j7q
>

> Jim
>
> Jim Matiya
> Psychology Department
> FLorida Gulf Coast University
> Ft. NMers, FL
>

> Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a
> listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of
> which have the potential to turn a life around...Leo Buscaglia
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: chri...@yorku.ca.
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=430248.781165b5ef80a3cd2b14721caf62bd92&n=T&l=tips&o=27872
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
> or send a blank email to
> leave-27872-430248.781165b5ef80a3cd2b14721caf62b...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=27877
or send a blank email to