Thanks for the alerts and links.

I have fond memories of hearing both David Hubel and Torten Weisel present
their research at colloquia when I was a grad student.

I was impressed by their interest in students as much as I was by their
research.

Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor
NSF UWF Faculty ADVANCE Scholar
School of Psychological and Behavioral Sciences
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 (direct) or  473-7435 (CUTLA)

csta...@uwf.edu

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/cutla/
Personal Web Pages: http://uwf.edu/cstanny/website/index.htm

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu> wrote:

> **
>

> David Hubel, one half of the famous Hubel & Wiesel research team
> that provided such profound research on the neurophysiology of
> early vision, is dead.  Here is a NY Times article on him, his
> research, and his life (he was a Canadian and fortunately for Canada,
> not an embarrassment like the Canadian born buffoon currently
> boviating the U.S. Congress) see:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/science/david-hubel-nobel-winning-scientist-dies-at-87.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130925&_r=0&pagewanted=all
>
> I am somewhat surprised that Tipsters have not noted this earlier because
> the Washington Post had an obituary in the Washington Post on
> Monday, September 23 (see:
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/david-h-hubel-nobel-prize-winning-neuroscientist-dies-at-87/2013/09/23/5a227c2c-7167-11e2-ac36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html
>  )
> as did the website of the Boston Globe (see:
>
> http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/09/23/nobel-laureate-david-hubel-who-taught-harvard-medical-school-dies/IXFS4uNm5hKZd6YJH0XQcL/story.html
>  ).
>
> I guess acknowledging one of psychologist's Nobel prize winners was
> not a priority.
>
> Hubel's research partner Torsten Wiesel, emeritus professor and President
> of Rockefeller University, is still keeping busy; see:
> http://www.rockefeller.edu/research/faculty/labheads/TorstenWiesel
>
> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.edu
>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: csta...@uwf.edu.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d550&n=T&l=tips&o=28095
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-28095-13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=28099
or send a blank email to