From: Michael Britt [mailto:mich...@thepsychfiles.com]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2013 7:14 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Funny Example of Extinction

It seems that whenever a post appears on TIPS about behavioral principles -
such as my own regarding the Family Guy YouTube video - there is a back and
forth about which aspect of behavioral theory the idea represents.  It makes
you want to not post anything on TIPS that is behaviorally related just to
avoid these kinds of back and forths in which, in the end, it's hard to know
what to think anymore (I'm sure there's an example of a behavioral principle at
work right there - but I don't want to go into that).

So let me ask this: can we agree that the video (http://youtu.be/aOLxQGLJouI)
could be used in an introductory psychology class as an example of how a mother
who wants to take a nap is attempting to extinguish her child's interruption
behavior by not responding to it (i.e, reinforcing it)?

Yes, her attempt fails in the end when she clearly and understandably loses
patience with the child, but that just shows how difficult the extinction
process can be.

Could the video serve as a (funny) illustration of the extinction process?

Remember - we're talking about introductory psychology students - many of whom
will not go on to become psychology majors.

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com