There are a lot of interesting statements in this paper. I love this one:

"The purpose of the curve was to reduce the number of students who failed the
first exams – a standard practice in American universities."

Standard practice? Common practice, certainly, but far from standard. And,
methods of curving are even more varied (I have used in the past a proportional
curving system that gave more points to students who scored very very poorly,
and fewer to this who scored comparatively well).

Paul