On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 03:20:15 -0800, Miguel Roig wrote:
It's been so quiet in TIPSland that I thought this item, which was posted on
another list, might bring some comic relief from all that grading.

I have the feeling that the volume of discussion on Tips is probably
going to be low for a while for a variety of reasons.  I'm sure that
each of us have our own reasons for this.

Enjoy.

Title:
Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational
challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials

http://www.bmj.com/content/327/7429/1459

If you check the date on the article, you'll see that the article was
"published" back in 2003 and in December when the BMJ has its
"Christmas" satire/cheer/whatever issue (one has to remember that
this is physician humor which means that non-physicians sometimes
wonder where the satire/humor/whatever is; see the following for
an example:
http://offsettingbehaviour.blogspot.com/2009/12/satire-or-not.html --
I'm sure that clinical psychologists make similar types of "jokes"
that are funny to other clinicians but are lost on non-clinicians).

A colleague pointed out the BMJ parachute article to me a few years
ago and the colleague thought it was as funny as all get out.  At first
I wasn't sure why the colleague thought that the article was funny.
The colleague was not much of an experimentalist and did a lot of
observational studies -- it seemed that the implicit message was
"see, you don't need a control group to do research, just commonsense!"

Anyway, I tried to point out that one didn't need to have a control
group in this kind of situation, just a record of the number of injuries
and deaths that occurred when people used parachutes, such as:
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=251515
and
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0196064486801342
and
http://bjsportmed.com/content/41/6/356.abstract
and so on.

There is a wonderful scene in the movie "The Bridge Over the River
Kwai" where the William Holden character points out that he doesn't
have any experience parachute jumping (secretly hoping that this would
get him out of the mission) and the Jack Hawkins character checks
to see if they can arrange a couple of practice jumps before they go
off on their mission.  Hawkins comes back and says that it's best that
they skip training jumps because the probability of an injury increases
with the number of jumps (as it turns out, one member of the commando
crew dies when his parachute is caught in a tree).  Whether what the
Hawkins character says is true or not is not the point (there are a number
of major factual errors in the movie and book but one has to assume
that factual truth has to serve "poetic truth" in such cases) because
parachute jumping is in fact a dangerous activity that one needs to
be very careful about.

Okay, just to show that I'm a humorless scrooge, here are some other
bits of humor.  First, psychology jokes:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201303/top-10-psychology-jokes
Shrink jokes:
http://forums.psychcentral.com/general-social-chat/157078-whats-your-favorite-joke-about-shrinks-please-share.html
More psychology jokes:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/got-a-psychology-joke.384462/
NOTE:  From the above website:
"Stanley Milgram: Electrical Contractor"and
"Psychologists like to do it on the couch"
And so on.

Make it an A-1 day!

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=31526
or send a blank email to