On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 04:11:12 -0800, Christopher Green wrote:
'Morning, Tipsters!

*grumble, grumble*

Common (mis)quotations is a frequent theme on this list. I thought
that this article about a person whose profession is to track them
down would interest some of you 10 popular quotes, and who
really said them

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/10-popular-quotes-and-who-really-said-them-1.2491712

This past week the New York Public Library (NYPL) sent out its
monthly enewsletter and there was a brief note linking to a NYPL
blog on how to research a quotation; see:
http://www.nypl.org/blog/2013/11/22/how-to-research-quotations?utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=NYPLTopPicks201401&utm_campaign=NYPLTopPicks

Briefly, it says (a) some quotations have no clearly identifiable source,
and (b) there are numerous sources that one can check to determine
whether a specific person actually made the statement in question.

It would seem to me that someone, either a historian or a person in
library sciences, would study how and why quotations get disconnected
from their sources and the original source gets lost and/or is mistakenly
attributed to someone else.  Probably due to poor scholarship or
intellectual laziness but a closer examination is warranted.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=32631
or send a blank email to
leave-32631-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu