Paul,

You've written two posts and I'll try to answer your points.
I will "snip" some of your statements below in order to save
space and make the text more readable.  I will number my
points in order to make them easier to refer to in subsequent
posts.  Consider the following points:

(1) I don't have a copy of Catania's text (any edition) but a
search of the contents on books.google.com using Catania's
full name and "jokes", "humor", "satire", and "irony" turn up
only one hit:  a blog entry on the Rachel Madow MSNBC
website:
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&safe=off&tbm=bks&q=%22a.+charles+catania%22+jokes++humor+satire+irony&oq=%22a.+charles+catania%22+jokes++humor+satire+irony&gs_l=serp.12...16926.17456.0.21578.2.2.0.0.0.0.60.115.2.2.0....0...1c.1.32.serp..2.0.0.76cLK1yrux0

No, it's not a behavior analysis of humor/jokes/satire/irony/whatever.
If you know a specific example of where Catania provides a behavioral
account of these concepts, especially irony (what is the behavioral
process that causes one to ignore the literal meaning of a sentence
and assume that the opposite meaning is being communicated; how
does one discriminate when to make a literal reading or an opposite
reading?).

(2) Yes, I did read Skinner's "Verbal Behavior" or at least parts of
it when I was an undergraduate close to 40 years ago.  I have not
had reason to go back to read it.  This does not mean that I agree
with Chomsky (I don't) but I do find trying to understand language
and world knowledge in terms of rule and symbol cognitive architectures
and connectionist architectures and hybrid systems more satisfying.
Of course, language occurs in an environmental or sociocultural contexts
but contemporary sociolinguistcs provide, IMO, better explanatory
accounts and frameworks than Skinner's approach.

More below.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:10:07 -0800, Paul Brandon wrote:
>From a behavioral viewpoint verbal behavior IS behavior and obeys the same
>basic laws.
>The -situations- in which it occurs are unique, leading to unique analyses
>(there are journals filled with these).

(3) I actually don't understand what you are saying here.  I have no
doubt that there are journal that take a behavioral approach to certain
aspects of language use, I just don't think a radical behaviorist approach
is very informative. I think that most cognitive psychologists would
consider themselves "methodological behaviorists", connecting models
of internal processing to external behavior, but I think that today they
would view such a term a quaint or out of date.  Sociolinguists who
study how speech varies as a function of familial relationship (one speaks
differently to one's grandmother than to one's sibling), job status (one
speaks to one's boss differently than to one friends), gender/sex (one
speaks to members of one's sex differently than to members of the
opposite sex), race (one speaks to members one's race differently
than to members of other races), and so on, all without the kind of
behavioral conceptions that I think a behaviorist would use.

>And it's an oversimplification to say that
>>".... Skinner did not believe in the study of cognitive and neuroscience
>>processes...."
>He talking much about private events, and was interested in their study
>(remember, he started out with biological leanings).
>He considered them part of a different science that was interesting in its own
>right; he chose to let other people study them.
[snip]

(4) I quote from Skinner (1990) speech which was delivered at APA
the day before he died.  It was published in the American Psychologist:

|Cognitive psychology was left as the scientific companion of a profession
|and as the scientific underpinning of educational, clinical, developmental,
|social, and many other fields of psychology. The help it has given them
|has not been conspicuous. A version of the vernacular refined for the
|study of mental life is scarcely more helpful than the lay version, especially
|when theory began to replace introspection.

I break the quote to note that I interpret Skinner to be saying that cognitive
psychology as he understood it  was little better than the everyday descriptions
of folk psychology.  This does not sound like a ringing endorsement of research
in cognitive psychology.  The quote continues:

|Much more useful would have been behavior analysis. It would have
|helped in two ways, by clarifying the contingencies of reinforcement to
|which the vernacular alludes, and by making it possible to design better
|environments-personal environments that would solve existing problems
|and larger environments or cultures in which there would be fewer problems.
|A better understanding of variation and selection will mean a more successful
|profession, but whether behavior analysis will be called psychology is a
|matter for the future to decide. (page 1210)

This is a curious statement because there is nothing in cognitive psychology
that precludes the type of analysis the Skinner suggests -- priming effects
in the social psychology research area can be thought of as falling into this
realm but researchers like John Bargh while paying passing attention to
behaviorist approaches does not really indulge in them.

[snip material on neural science; I'll leave to someone who actually cares
about neurscience to handle Skinner's attitude toward it].

>Again, your examples of humor are very similar the my quote from Charles
>Catania about humor.

(5) You're going to have to elaborate here.  Are you talking about the
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar/Sometimes a penis is just a penis"
example?  I would be curious to see how that works.

>Finally, have you actually read 'Verbal Behavior'?

(6) Yes, see above.  I've also read Chomsky's review of it.  And as someone
who has followed research on psycholinguistics research since the late 1970s,
I know which one has been more influential though not necessarily more
correct.

>Any issues of the journal Analysis of Verbal Behavior?

(7) Nope.  Nor do I remember seeing any references to it.  Then again, I have
been trained as a cognitive psychologist.  Have you ever read "Leonardo"?
Consider: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1575571
For fans of JJ Gibson, see:
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1574737?uid=3739832&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21103352516253

>Finally, as far as the arts are concerned, I'm not sure this is an important
>criterion for the validity of a science.

(8) I did not argue that the arts are a criterion for science, rather that
science
should be able to explain how and why art operates IF it claim to
explain behavior, cognition, and affect

[snip]
>It seems to be the the liberal arts are the ONLY area where classic
>psychodynamics (as  opposed to psychoceramics) are still common.

(9) Read the following and weep.
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/203/3/170.short
Now do a Google search on neuropsychoanalysis.  Prepare to be disturbed.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=32843
or send a blank email to
leave-32843-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu