I read something posted by a mid-western e-colleague.  One thing he
wrote got to me, "I love to teach because I'm so dedicated to my discipline,
but those students....."
        You know, so many people say, "I love to teach."  To them, as I did
with this professor, I ask, "Do you love each student?"  "Are you dedicated
unconditionally to each of them?"
        You see, loving to teach is one thing.  To unconditionally love each of
those to whom you teach is quite another thing.  To be "dedicated to your
discipline" is one thing.  To unconditionally be committed to each student is
quite another thing.
        If your idea of what teaching is all about doesn't get you to
unconditionally believing in, having faith in, having hope for, and loving each
student, if each--each and every--student doesn't matter or isn't important to
you,  if all the students see is your scholarly resume and don't feel sincere
compassionate and caring leadership, you should stop grading yourself on a
generous curve and the students on an uncharitable one; you should question
yourself, not the students.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
203 E. Brookwood Pl                         http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta, Ga 31602
(C)  229-630-0821                             /\   /\  /\                 /\
 /\
                                                      /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__
/   \  /   \
                                                     /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/