From: Joan Warmbold <jwarm...@oakton.edu>
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Fri, Mar 28, 2014 1:33 pm
Subject: Re: [tips] Help!  Learning Styles are Eating the Brains of Our Young

Nancy,

Please do get back to us re: how your critique on learning styles is
received by the H.S. teachers.  You might receive as much or similar
resistance from the teachers as you expect to get from the student.

Also would appreciate hearing the type of literature review required of
the students.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

 Put a post-it note on that page, sticking out the top of the book… just in
> case.
>
> Paul
>

> As has already been mentioned...just a fair review of the project,
design,controls, etc. Try to emphasize a good review of the literature .
. ."50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology" by Scott Lilienfeld
> et al to give to some of the teachers or students interested in Psych.
> This myth is discussed on pp. 92-96.
>

> G.L. (Gary) Peterson,Ph.D
> Psychology@SVSU
>

> On Mar 28, 2014, at 9:50 AM, drnanjo
> <drna...@aol.com<mailto:drna...@aol.com>> wrote:
>

> I am about to embark on a day of volunteer judging of science fair
> projects for the Los Angeles Unified School District. I've previewed the
> 20 or so projects to which I am assigned. One of them claims to confirm
> the existence of learning styles.
>
> We don't hold kids to the same standards, I understand. I don't want to
> obnoxiously squash the research aspirations of budding young, enthusiastic
> scientists. Any suggestions for how I both assess the work fairly and
> gently challenge the presenter to reconsider this idea....? I am worried I
> will come across as a kind of brute....
>
> I'll deal with my fellow judges as adults, since I anticipate more
> receptivity among the HS Teachers.
>
> Nancy Melucci

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: drna...@aol.com.