The website for Wired has an interesting interview with the researcher
Kent Kiehl who has studied psychopaths for 20 years; the interview
is here:
http://www.wired.com/2014/04/psychopath-brains-kiehl/

The interview is partly a shill for Kiehl's new book "The Psychopath
Whisperer" which is geared for the general public (i.e., it is a
"money book", that is, a book a scientist writes not for a limited
scientific or academic audience but to appeal to a broad audience
and is expect to make a fair amount of money -- most popular
science books are money books though not all of them make a
lot of money).  Anyway, Kiehl has his own mobile MRI scanner
(there is a picture of him next to trailer that contains the scanner)
so he's not doing too badly.

When asked how psychopaths' brain differ from "normal" brains
he says the following:

|WIRED: What is known at this point about what's different
|about their brains?
|
|Kiehl: We've found that psychopaths have 5 to 10 percent
|reduced gray matter density in and around the limbic regions
|[a network deep in the brain that's important for emotional
|processing]. We've also found - and a group in Germany
|has published a similar finding - that the tissue that connects
|the limbic system to the frontal lobes is disrupted. There have
|also been lots of studies published showing reduced responsivity
|in those circuits during emotional processing and moral decision
|making.

An interesting question that arises from this research is that a
number of psychopaths also engage in serious crimes, such
as serial killing and worse (anyone who has read about what
Ted Bundy did before and after he killed his female victims
will know what I'm talking about) and whether psychopaths
should be held responsible for such crimes if they have a
brain abnormality.  This becomes a critical issue in murder
trials and Kiehl was apparently the first to use fMRI evidence
for the defense of a man who had raped and killed a 10 year old
girl (this was during the sentencing phase because the defendant
had pleaded guilty and he was already spending time in jail for
other murders he had committed).  The prosecutors wanted
the death penalty while the defense wanted life in prison.
Some details about this trial and the jury's decision can be read
here:
http://news.sciencemag.org/2009/11/fmri-evidence-used-murder-sentencing

The question that arises here is if psychopathy is shown to
be "associated" with specific brain abnormalities should this condition
be treated as "insanity" (i.e., being unable to tell the difference
between "right" and "wrong" and not being able to appreciate the
consequences of one's actions)?  But here is the more important
point: even if such a brain abnormality does exist which judgment
is more just:

(1) life in prison: to keep the person out of open society and hope
that prison controls will prevent the psychopath from killing someone
within prison or outside of prison by proxy (Kiehl talks about how
an imprisoned psychopath that he interviewed thought that he snitched
on him and through his network got someone on the outside to try
hurt or kill him).

or

(2) death penalty: if the brain abnormality is not modifiable by
various treatments and the psychopath remains a danger to others
even while in prison, isn't the best way to minimize future risk
is by executing the person?

A number of factors (scientific, moral, legal, etc.) enter into this
consideration but from a scientific perspective I think that one
consideration is the degree to which one really believes in neural
plasticity and how modifiable brain structures are if they have
been implicated in conditions like psychopathy.  If a psychopath
turns serial killer and engages in such activity for a long period
of time (e.g., Ted Bundy), is there any chance that he can be
changed from desiring to kill and do the terrible things he did to
not wanting to engages in those behaviors again?  The so-called
Ludovico technique in the book and movie "A Clockwork
Orange" is a fictional example of such a treatment but is any
treatment really possible?  If effective treatments for psychopathy
can be developed, does it make more sense for putting them
in prison for life for crimes like murder?  If no effective treatments
can be found, does it make more sense to execute them?

Or should one be skeptical of neuroscientists peddling their
research results and opinions in courts and just not seriously
consider them?

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=36217
or send a blank email to
leave-36217-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu