To tie this thread in with another recent thread on power, let's just say that
this is a case of a massively overpowered study with an N of 689,003 producing
effect sizes like d=.001, 008, and .02. Predictably, the y-axis on the graphs
showing these effects does not begin at 0.

In fact, some of the ethical justification for the study is on the basis of the
fact that the effect sizes were so small. Which reminds me of this exchange in
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Pete: You miserable little snake! You stole from my kin!

Everett: Who was fixin' to betray us.

Pete: You didn't know that at the time.

Everett: So I borrowed it until I did know.

Pete<http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001806/?ref_=tt_trv_qu>: That don't make no
sense!

Everett: Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human
heart.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3519
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu<mailto:rfro...@jbu.edu>
(479) 524-7295
http://bit.ly/DrFroman

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=37340