x-originating-ip: [10.1.11.13]

Hi

This bounced yesterday for too many posts ...

Is FaceBook subject to those current human subjects protections? All kinds =
of entities attempt to change people's attitudes, behaviours, and even mood=
s (e.g., making you dissatisfied with your current condition), but are not =
subject to the same restrictions as researchers. And I'm sure some (many in=
 these days of e-connections and big data?) try to evaluate the effectivene=
ss of their efforts (i.e., conduct research?). I'm equally sure no one is r=
equiring post-study feedback and opportunity to delete their automatically =
collected data. Isn't this reality part of the criticism of the current reg=
ulations on research by academics?

Ignoring FB, the commercial entity, and its employee (lead researcher?), I =
think the researchers in this study who may be in trouble are the two with =
academic appointments. Have they violated terms of their academic appointme=
nts?

Perhaps also worth noting that this is not FB's first large scale study. He=
re's link to one published last fall in Nature with 61 million participants=
.  I don't have full access right now, so don't know details.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n7415/full/nature11421.html

Take care
Jim

ty to have their data withdrawn.
> Given that the study was carried out within the auspices of FB, which=20
> employs legions of top-notch programmers, it seems to me that both of=20
> the above steps could have been easily carried out, not to mention=20
> that they could also have easily excluded minors who cannot legally=20
> consent. My sense is that any half- decent IRB examining this study's=20
> protocol would have at least insisted on the above steps, none of which, =
in my view, would have jeopardized the findings.
>=20
> Miguel
pulation would plausibly influence the results.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=37502
or send a blank email to
leave-37502-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu