On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:26:35 -0700, Jim Clark wrote:
Hi

Somewhat reassuring that many comments actually correct
the 10% myth! Perhaps taking Intro Psych has some benefits,
although not apparently on movie makers?  Shame, because
it would not have been difficult to give a more "plausible"
foundation for the movie (e.g., enhancing some neurotransmitter).

The film is by Luc Besson who is perhaps best known as the
director of the movies "Leon: The Professional" (with a little kid
named Natalie Portman) and "The Fifth Element" (the one with
blue singing octopus).  He also directed "La Femme Nikita" and
"Angel-A" but I'm not sure that they count a positives.  Anyway,
Besson appears to be a member of the "poetic truth" school
of cinema, that is, factual information is less important than
poetic or dramatic "truth" (I think in this context, if you like the
movie, then it is "truthful" -- could be a postmodern thing though
I've heard the term used to described older films like Kurosawa's
"Ran").

I actually saw the commercial for "Lucy" on TV and I wondered
whether Besson was being ironic in having Scarlett Johansson
as the actor for the character with the great brain/mind power
since she couldn't get into NYU.  Here's an article the describes
some of circumstances involved:
http://www.celebuzz.com/2013-09-30/how-you-may-actually-be-smarter-than-scarlett-johansson/