From: Mike Palij [mailto:m...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:00 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Michael Palij
Subject: RE: [tips] The NYT Reviews "Lucy", The Film Scarlett Johansson Goes
From Using 10% of Her Brain To Slightly More...

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:11:31 -0700,  William Scott wrote:
>Mike Palij points out:
>>In this review Mr. Roston notes the "10%" myth and actually provides a
>>link to a Scientific American article from 2008 on it; here is the
>>article:
>>
>>http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-people-only-use-10-percen
>>t-of-their-brains/
>--------------------
>
>Do we need to de-bunk all of the scientific hokum that students see in
>movies?

If Scott Lilienfeld is back from vacation, I'll let him answer this.

>Here's a Scientific American site essay on how we should expose more
>students to radioactive spiders in order to give them super-powers.

Hey! No fair using NYU faculty in rebuttals! See:
http://www.psych.nyu.edu/skaufman/

>I was going to add the adjective "metaphorically" in the previous
>sentence but current usage might allow me to use "literally".
>
> http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/2013/09/09/why-edu
> cation-needs-more-radioactive-spiders/

Methinks that perhaps Dr. Kaufman has read too many comics in his youth and
young adulthood (it is possible that he still reads them but I digress).  But
the Spiderman reference provides the necessary hook to get a reader to read an
article/blog entry (because so many people have read the comic books and saw
the movies) instead of the somewhat more accurate title "valuing people and
increasing self-esteem".

I just wonder if someone has written a Scientific American blog entry or
elsewhere on "Why you are psychic like Professor Xavier"
written either by Daryl Bem or one of his PSI promoters.  One might want to say
"you mean figuratively, right" but it would be more correct to say "you mean
literally, right? You really do believe this stuff?"

It's always a good idea to think about whether one is being metaphorical or
literal and the consequences of each.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: slil...@emory.edu.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13509.d0999cebc8f4ed4eb54d5317367e9b2f&n=T&l=tips&o=37699