Hi Jim:

I am not that knowledgeable other than that when I teach intro I try to dispel
myths about all the content areas of psych. So I have no direct experience,
which is true of everything I teach in intro psych, other than narrow research
areas in human memory and college student education.

I find the biggest schizophrenia misrepresentation in the media is that
hallucinations are primarily visual. As I understand it the hallucinations in
schizophrenia are primarily auditory. Visual are far less frequent, if not
downright rare, as are olfactory, gustatory and tactile hallucinations. In
fact, as far as I know visual hallucinations occur primarily for two reasons:
drug effects, such as hallucinogens, and tumors or other insults directly to
brain areas (not sure specifically which areas). The media error arises because
it is difficult to "portray" voices that are only heard by the person. As seen
in a Beautiful Mind, Ron Howard took what were auditory hallucinations in the
original book and turned it into visual images to portray on the screen. That
is more typical. Also, some people with schizophrenia self-medicate with street
drugs that do cause visual hallucinations.

The other error I find is the portrayal of something that hints more of
multiple personality disorder than of schizophrenia. If you google
schizophrenia movies you will also find included in there movies such as Three
Faces of Eve.

Finally, movies seldom show the real day-to-day life of someone who is taking
their meds, actively getting supportive therapy (I hate to call it therapy as
it is more general supportive counseling), and is struggling but getting by, is
marginally able to be self-sufficient and functional and live independently. We
take for granted how much where-with-all this takes! Many live in small group
homes and support each other. Few have families who can sustain a life time of
being supportive. So there are lots of themes out there that we seldom see in
the movies because frankly, these story lines are not jazzy or sexy.

Maybe your writer friend could find one of these small group homes or half-way
houses and volunteer for a while. It seems to me that some first-hand
experience would benefit a writer more than would researching things
second-hand. (But what do I know, I only write research papers or
encyclopedias; very boring stuff.)

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences