There has been some interesting discussion about deceased grandparents,
missing tests and how makeups should/should not be handled.

We've discussed makeup tests in the past on TIPS, but it's been a while and
we do seem to have some new people.  When it was previously discussed I
offered something I picked up at an APA poster session some years ago.  The
poster discussed a paper that was done about how best to handle makeup
tests, and the conclusion of the author was that it worked well for both
students and instructors to give all makeup tests - regardless of reason -
on the day of the final exam. So that's what I've been doing and I don't
have to waste any time weeding through whether or not a students reasons
for missing are valid.   (Sadly, and with much embarrassment, I have lost
the name of the presenter so can't give credit.)

Here's how I go about it:  I have the student take the final exam (my
university typically allows 2 1/2 hours, which is much, much more than is
ever needed for my final exams), and after the student has completed the
exam, I give him/her a sheet with questions (different from the original
test which was missed) for each test that was given.  I usually have about
ten essay questions for each test.  The student then answers questions for
the test(s) missed.

My experience has been that the makeup tests tend to follow about the same
grade pattern the student has had, so there doesn't seem to be any
particular advantage or disadvantage to doing it this way.  It also saves
me the time it takes to schedule and supervise a separate time for a makeup
test after every test.

Incidentally, I continue to see some kind of "this might be phishing" or
something like that or my posts, as well as others who use gmail.  I
haven't figured out how to get around it, and hope that I haven't lost too
much by people who are leery of opening an email from me.  I'm toying with
the idea of removing my TIPS gmail address and using my school email
address.  Perhaps that will solve the problem.  Any other advice?  (I love
my gmail and it's faster than my school address.)

Beth Benoit
Plymouth State University
Plymouth NH

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=38226