It was said on tips in my digest format:

I just allow my students to drop a test grade. That way I don't have to decide
if an excuse is legitimate or not. I give four exams, counting the final, and
the end result is usually that the good students don't have to take the final
exam (and can leave for home earlier, which they appreciate). It's worked very
well for me.

This would not work for me because finals are mandatory at our university!

But, I have always been concerned that this policy results in giving students
permission to not know the material for whatever test they opt to not take.

It wasn't said but am I to assume that the final is cumulative and for this
reason the ones who don't need to take the final are excused?

That would make more sense because then everyone would be expected to know all
the material and not just the material covered on the tests they (sometimes
opted in clever ways) to take.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences