One thing I have found helpful in teaching the concept of spurious correlations
is to have students populate a number of columns in a spreadsheet with random
numbers and then calculate correlations between all the columns of random
numbers. Since they are random, the correlation in the population from which
all of these samples are drawn is 0. For every 100 correlations calculated in
this circumstance, using a .05 alpha level, students will find about five
spurious correlations that are statistically significant but are clearly
spurious (mind blown) :)

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Professor of Psychology
Box 3519
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu<mailto:rfro...@jbu.edu>
(479) 524-7295
http://bit.ly/DrFroman
"The LORD detests both Type I and Type II errors." Proverbs
17:15<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=proverbs%2017:15&version=NIV>