From: m...@nyu.edu
To: tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu
CC: m...@nyu.edu
Subject: [tips] For Those Who Are Interested In Such Things
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:41:21 -0400

A while back on Tips I had mentioned that I
had made a presentation at APA
in the early 1990s on the inception of
information processing theories in
psychology with an emphasis on information
theory.  The problem was
that I could not find either a paper or
electronic copy of the paper that I
presented. Well, over the past week I went
through some old Zipdisks
(remember them?) and found components of the
paper -- back in 1992
I was on a Unix system and was using a psroff
text formatting program
for writing (this meant putting the formatting
commands in the paper;
the WYSISWYG interface of WordPerfect and Word
were not quite
ready and using Wordstar, A CP/M program, had
problems in translation).

Anyway, I put the paper back together and, if
anyone is interested, is
available on www.researchgate.net; see:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266855407_The_Birth_of_Information_Processing_Psychology_1948
If you find any problems with the manuscript,
please let me know. I
proofread it myself but I am *far* from
infallible (as one of my grad
school buds is fond of reminding me; I missed
a typo that turned out
to be on the first page of first page of the
published article, one of his
first)..

The "nickel" (i.e., 5 cent) summary of the
paper is that it was response to
textbooks in cognitive psychology circa 1990
that argued that 1956
should be considered the "birth year" of
"contemporary cognitive psychology"
while I argue that "1948" is a better
candidate.  Today we know the
situation is somewhat more complicated
(especially after one takes into
the account the Macy conferences) but some
might find some of the
presentation useful. At the time I wrote the
paper, I asked some people
to read it and provide feedback.  George
Sperling's was that "he thought
the role of information theory in psychology
was overrated." YMMV.

On a related matter:  I have been unable
to find my copy of APA program
for the 1992 meeting.  This was the 100th meeting and was a
centennial
commemoration of the APA meetings, so it was something of a big deal

as far as APA meetings went.  I then tried to find a copy on the web
and
was unable to do so.  So, does anyone
know where one can get access
to APA conventions programs of recent
decades?

        You are currently subscribed to tips as: jmat...@hotmail.com.

        To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13283.28aec02f231f4c4baa9a4a58ae139710&n=T&l=tips&o=39160

        (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is
broken)

        or send a blank email to
leave-39160-13283.28aec02f231f4c4baa9a4a58ae139...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=39166