It was a good walk this morning.   In the fifth mile of my six mile
roundtrip, I didn't realize what was about to happen.  This is what I best
remember.

        I was moving along at my usual fast pace, abreast of the Phys Ed
building, when I heard voice shout out behind me, "Dr. Schmier!"  I stopped.  I
turned.  I recognized the face.  I didn't remember the name.  Before I could
get a word out, she blurted with a feigned frown, "Dr. Schmier, I hate you."
Then a beaming smile appeared to lighten up her face, "And, I love you."  She
leapt forward and gave me a tight hug.

        Excited, she stepped slightly back, and in an almost out-of-breath
tat-a-tat fashion saying, "I just have to tell you.  Thank you, thank you,
thank you.  After all these years, I still just can't get that Holocaust class
out of my mind.  That yellow star is still branded into my heart.  I see that
yellow star every time I pull out my underwear drawer.  I deliberately put it
there so I knew I'd see it every day.  The 'Jew' on it just screams at me every
day, and I think about what good I'm going to that day.   I even read the first
page of the syllabus once a week.  You just don't know what's happened to me
since that class.  I'm not shy anymore and I don't do things by what I think
other people will think or say, or by who they want me to be.  I'm not afraid
anymore.  Me! I becoming more and more brave.   I'm so conscious of struggling
not to be prejudice, I watch every word I say and everything I do and I'm so
aware of other people and being respectful to them.  I now refuse to be the
onlooker and bystander I once was.  I refuse to be one of those silent good
people.  Me!  Can you believe it?  I call down my friends, boyfriend, my
parents, especially my mother, my sisters, people in my church back home,
anyone, once did it to my preacher, and talk with them.  And it all began with
you and that class.  You're not just my favorite teacher; you're my best
professor; you transformed me into a much, much better person than I ever
thought I could be, all in one class.  They called it a 'Perspective Class.'
Boy was that the truth!  It sure effected mine."

        Dumbstruck, eyes watery, I couldn't find any words.  Before I could
utter at least a "thank you,"  She gave me another hug and said abruptly, "I'm
late for class.  Got to go.  I saw you and just wanted you to know that you've
made a big difference in my life and maybe in other lives I've touched.  Bye."

         And off she hurriedly ran into the Phsy Ed building.  I just stood
there, frozen, numb, deeply humble, a tear or two falling from my eyes.  There
was such joy in her voice, and I still don't know who she was, but she sure
knows.  I turned and walked faster than normal, thinking "this is what
education should be,transforming," and struggling to remember her words.

        I've got to get to work on the book I want to write about that
Holocaust class with its "Star Project," and break through the organizational
barrier that's been stopping these past two years.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
203 E. Brookwood Pl                         http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta, Ga 31602
(C)  229-630-0821                             /\   /\  /\                 /\
 /\
                                                      /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__
/   \  /   \
                                                     /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/