As Chris and others have stated, I lean toward the perspective that
explanations for behaviors as simply justifications for behaviors after
the fact instead of representing a consciously applied moral stance before
the behavior occurred.  This general topic of moral reasoning and its
relationship to moral/immoral behaviors becomes particularly interesting
relative to research conducted in the last 10 years showing that what we
have normally assumed were consciously deliberated goals are more often
under the control of our unconscious mind.  This is stated concisely in an
article published in Science, July 2010 titled: UNCONSCIOUS WILL: HOW THE
PURSUIT OF GOALS OPERATES OUTSIDE OF CONSCIOUS AWARENESS.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/329/5987/47.short

We all know how each of believes (hopes!) we would behave in various
social psychology experiments, especially ones demonstrating bystander
apathy, the obedience and prison experiments, etc. But, of course, without
previous exposure to such studies, do we really know?

I appreciate Michael's efforts if for no reason but to encourage us all to
discuss this very difficult and bewildering behavior of our own citizens.
And observing the topic of torture--should we or should we not--becoming a
political football is appalling. Zimbardo's recent efforts in his heroic
imagination project as discussed in Science as well as described by
Zimbardo on his website as a  potentially crucial effort to enable us all
to "resist negative social influences . . . as well as learning how "to
implement positive change in interpersonal relationships and group
interactions."

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6029/530.short
http://heroicimagination.org/

Just as we need to practice a new dance or a new language, we all will
need to practice using our conscious mind to not conform to the negative
behaviors of others that results from our unconscious mimicry of others as
well as our ongoing need to be an accepted and respected member of our
groups. Hope that makes some sense.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=41235