On Dec 22, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu> wrote:

> P.S. Don't forget to make a contribution to Wikipedia.

I did several weeks ago.

It's a very useful resource, especially if I want to know something like, " Was
Don Adams Jewish?"--a question that came up yesterday with my best friends in
the whole world. Both are Jewish (they're married ... to each other) and
usually have excellent "Jewdar." I said he was Jewish, they said he was not.
I'm a "lapsed" Catholic (well, a lot more than simply "lapsed"), so I was ready
to defer to them. But I decided to look it up in Wikipedia. It turned out that
both they and I were correct. His father was Jewish and his mother was Catholic.

Usually (YES, THIS IS ANECDOTAL, TOO), children in such interfaith marriages
are brought up in one of the faiths. But in Don Adams' family (according to
Wikipedia--does this qualify as anecdotal"????), he was brought up in the
Catholic faith, and his brother was brought up in the Jewish faith. Since a Bar
Mitzvah requires so much more studying and preparation than a Confirmation
does, I think Don Adams got the better deal. (And I'm not even going to do more
than mention the horrors of a Bris !!!!! FYI: My legs are tightly crossed at
this moment.)

So, I'll repeat what Mike wrote: please contribute to Wikipedia.

Best,
Jeff

P.S. (YEP, ONCE AGAIN, THE FOLLOWING CLAIM IS "SUPPORTED" BY ANECDOTAL
"EVIDENCE"): It's funny, but in almost all marriages between Jewish people and
Christian people that I've heard about, the Christian person is Roman Catholic.
For example (WARNING--MORE ANECDOTAL "EVIDENCE), my first wife was Jewish. I
wonder if Jewish-Catholic marriages are much more frequent than marriages
involving other types of Christians. (And yes, I'm aware that some of these
"other types of" Christians don't think of Catholics as "true" Christians.)

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85256-2626