On 1/1/2015 7:14 PM, Michael Britt wrote:
I am going to play the lead in the musical La Cage Aux Folles this spring,
which means I’ll be wearing high heals, wigs, dresses, fake boobs and lots of
makeup.  I expect I'll be gaining a new empathy and respect for what women go
through on a daily basis.  I mean, do you know how hard it is to do housework
in high heels?  I didn't know until recently...

Any research on cross-dressing come to anyone's mind?  I might as well make
this a learning experience.  What is it about women's clothing that some men
find so appealing?

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: @mbritt

Hi Michael:

You may want to listen to the interview by Neil Patrick Harris on being the lead in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch." I caught only bits of the interview as I was doing housework but he talked about the physical difficulty of walking in high heels and "getting the stance." He talked about walking in circles for hours to get "the walk." All of this was interesting in the context of his trying to overcome his earlier self-training to avoid any appearance of being "effeminate" to hide public acknowledgement that he is gay.

I think the show was Terri Gross and "Fresh Air" but a search on the NPR site should identify it quickly.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu