Sorry. I think my previous post may have been unclear. I was referring to the
effectiveness of unblinded placebos, not expensive placebos in my previous post.

From: Lilienfeld, Scott O <slil...@emory.edu>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:45 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Are Expenisve Placebos More Effective Than Cheap Placebos?

I'm assuming that the study to which Paul B. is referring is the following:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0015591#pone-0015591-g002

Full reference is:

Kaptchuk, T. J., Friedlander, E., Kelley, J. M., Sanchez, M. N., Kokkotou, E.,
Singer, J. P., ... & Lembo, A. J. (2010). Placebos without deception: A
randomized controlled trial in irritable bowel syndrome. PloS one, 5(12),
e15591.

It will be interesting (and important) to not only replicate this finding, but
to examine its potential generalizability and boundary conditions as applied to
other medical and psychological conditions.

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Samuel Candler Dobbs Professor
Department of Psychology, Room 473
36 Eagle Row