I agree. There are many personality folks that may have had historical
influences, but whose ideas are refuted or simply not relevant in contemporary
work, that I would rather not cover.  It IS fun for many to cover I suppose,
once they have lecture/lessons prepared on Jung and others. I love Adler,
Sullivan and Horney in my Personality class, but....except for historical
relevance, I'm not sure they represent current theoretical development.  But
wait....I am not sure there has been theoretical advancement in the field lol.
I guess it begs the question as to who and what we cover and why. Gee, does
anyone take the Psych GRE anymore? If these folks are covered there, well my
goodness, who are we to disagree lol.

G.L. (Gary) Peterson,Ph.D
Psychology@SVSU

> On Feb 21, 2015, at 10:04 AM, Annette Taylor <tay...@sandiego.edu> wrote:
>
> Well, I'm feeling pestiferous today, second post of the day and one to stir
> the pot.
>
> The discussion over the great loss of Oliver Sachs brings home to me the
> waste of time in teaching Erikson, particularly in intro psych where there is
> no time to deconstruct and critically examine properly. Clearly one can see
> whatever conflicts one wants to depending on one's predisposition to see it
> and the same stage could be applied across any age groups, really. There are
> elements of all of the so-called stages at every age--especially when a
> 70-year old is stuck in the conflict attributed to the 30-year old. I'm
> waiting for convincing evidence for why I want to teach this old and tired
> and poorly empirically-supported overall information, instead of bringing in
> more modern developmental theories. Except that every standardized test seems
> to LOVE to ask one or two multiple choice questions to see who has properly
> memorized ages and stages. Sigh. And that is what I teach in intro psych:
> planning to take the GRE at some point? Cram this the night before. Then
> forget it.
>
> To quote a(n in)famous tipster: "give me something" to change my mind.
>
> Annette
>

> Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego