Jeff Ricker noted:

I've been looking at the issue of Erikson's relevance to contemporary work for
the past hour and must tentatively disagree with Gary's claim. Yes, even
Erikson criticized his own work after his retirement and seemed unsure whether
research in this area could ever be "scientific." Nevertheless, he seemed to
believe that the assumptions and general principles that formed the foundation
of his thinking were valid.
--------------------------------
MY RESPONSE:

I think it was good that Erikson recognized problems with the scientific value
of his ideas. I always felt they were interesting, but just not as
theoretically useful, but the Barnum-like way they are described in Psych texts
is also problem. Text authors seem to revel in the vagueness, and everyone
looks for confirmation in anecdotal accounts while finding, events to fit the
"theory" in hindsight.

I think the same problems are reinforced in educating health
professionals...they are told such unsupported ideas are relevant, and taught
to look for ways to fit his(and other) ideas to cases. Again, such ideas  are
comfortable frameworks that are thus "made" to feel important and relevant.
This leads such folks to feel they have knowledge to share....whether it is
evidenced based or not. Thus, notions like Kubler-Ross's stages of dying, and
similar (or, even more pseudoscientific) views become required lore in the
socialization/training of health professionals. What is seen as important, and
what is actually efficacious in practice may be different.  However, it is
warming a few degrees here, and I am becoming less curmudgeonly, so I will
defer to those with more expertise in developmental science ;-)
JEFF NOTED
And his ideas about and theories of fundamental developmental challenges seem
to still be important in areas like nursing, social work, and counseling
psychology. I noticed that this may be especially true in the care and
treatment of geriatric patients, which is the issue that gave rise to this
thread.

Perhaps someone with expertise in this broad area could expound on this a bit.

YES, AGREE...

G.L. (Gary) Peterson,Ph.D
Psychology@SVSU

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=42205