To provide a demonstration of the phenomenon, you can edit the picture of
the dress by adjusting the contrast-I was able to find the point at which
the dress changed color for me-it could make a pretty nifty classroom
demonstration.  BTW, I first tried cropping the image so that the
background was completely eliminated-it didn't change when I did this.  It
also didn't change when I manipulated the background color against which I
viewed the image.

Best,

Leah

--