Here's a couple of points to consider:

(1) To what extent is the perception of color hard-wired and
to what extent is it dependent upon experience and learning?
It is clear that trichromatic theory and opponent processing
are mostly "hard-wired" but color constancy appears to be
a top-down process -- a color remains the same under different
conditions of illumination and surrounding colors because
we take into account the different illumination levels and
other environmental levels.  But what ties all this processing
together?  I'm sure that someone will come up with a neural
network or some other mathematical model that can account
for this.  But everyone has a slightly different model of processing
and for the dress, it produces one perception above a threshold
(blue-black) and another perception below a threshold (gold-white).
Stimuli on such a "boundary" are perceived differently by different
people but we probably usually are not aware of the differences
because they do not call attention to themselves in everyday
life.  Now that the phenomenon has been found, I am sure that
enterprising perception researchers will now find other common
instances where similar things occur but which we have ignored.
Kinda like "discovering" people with "super autobiographical"
memories -- they have probably around us all along but such
an ability never called attention to itself until AJ/Jill Price came
around.

(2) Do I really need to point out that all of the "data" we are relying
upon have been collected in a haphazard manner under uncontrolled
conditions?  Yes, the effect is robust but don't we need to demonstrate
the effect under controlled conditions where we manipulate variables
such a levels of illumination, different colors and shapes, and other
variables?  Any explanation that is offered now is actually just a
hypothesis in need of testing.
NOTE:  This is an example of "abductive reasoning", first systematized
by Charles Peirce.  That is, an event occurs and hypotheses are
generated to explain the event. End of story.  Science proceeds beyond
this by deductively building on the explanations and then inductively tests
assertions derived from the deductive explanation.  For more on this,
see my review of David Haig's book which argues for greater use of
abductive reasoning but there are problems with his recommendations; see:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268687360_Would_Sherlock_Holmes_Have_Been_a_Good_Researcher

(3) For people who receive Tips in digest form (like myself) one can
always check out the Mail Archive website to see responses; see:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu/info.html
Somebody email Annette about this. ;-)