Doug asked, "
Has anyone tried teaching introductory psychology with either an optional
textbook or without a required textbook at all?  If so what was your
experience? ."

To which Karl replied, "A fair number of my undergrad students never buy the
book.  They tell me that they rely on my online lecture notes alone."

I find that pretty appalling, Karl. One of my students once wrote on
ratemyprofessors.com "Don't take Pollak. You have to go to class AND read the
book!" To this day, I remain exceedingly proud of that comment.

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
http://home.comcast.net/~epollak/
Husband, father, grandfather, bluegrass fiddler, banjoist &
biopsychologist............... in approximate order of importance