From: Mike Palij [mailto:m...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:38 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Michael Palij
Subject: Re: [tips] APA Style: Spaces between sentences

A couple of points on this raging debate:

(1) As Rick Froman points out below, APA style started out with
2 spaces after the period (what I learned as an undergraduate in lab class and
back in my high school typing class), went to 1 space for the 5th ed, and is
now back to two spaces. It doesn't really matter since the printer will make it
all single space or adjusted in the published article.

(2) To get some sense of how ridiculous people are about such a stupid
stylistic point, see the Wikipedia entry on "Sentence Spacing":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing
The entry links out to a few external websites that show how strongly held
beliefs about one space or two are, such as:

McArdle, Megan (14 January 2011). "You Can Have My Double Space When You Pry it
From My Cold, Dead Hands". Atlantic.
Atlantic Monthly.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/01/you-can-have-my-double-space-when-you-pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-hands/69592/
and
Manjoo, Farhad (13 January 2011). "Space Invaders: Why You Should Never, Ever
Use Two Spaces After a Period". Slate.com.
Washington Post.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

And for some history, with the realization that single spacing is a recent
development, see:
http://theworldsgreatestbook.com/how-many-spaces-after-a-period/
and
http://widespacer.blogspot.com/2014/01/two-spaces-old-typists-habit.html

I think that whether one chooses to use one or two spaces is a matter of
perspective.  I just had a couple of buildings blow up a few blocks from me
and, quoting Rhett Butler, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
For those unfamiliar with the quote, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankly,_my_dear,_I_don%27t_give_a_damn

P.S. Just keeping my hand in Tips activity while we wait for them to clear the
rubble.

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:41:22 -0700, Paul C Bernhardt wrote:
>If you are using a monospaced typeface (e.g., Courier), you should use
>2 spaces. If you are using a proportional typeface (e.g. Times New
>Roman, pretty much anything except Courier), you should use 1 space. I
>know APA currently uses 2, but my personal bias is 1 space. When I send
>a manuscript to a journal for consideration I make sure I have 2
>spaces, but internally I'm protesting doing that to Times New Roman.

> On Mar 27, 2015, at 1:49 PM, Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> APA says one.  All touch typing courses taught us to use two.  My
> thumbs will never be able to unlearn that double space after a
> sentence though.

>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Karl Wuensch wrote:
>>         One or two?

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: wuens...@ecu.edu.
To unsubscribe click here: