> On Apr 5, 2015, at 8:59 AM, Pollak, Edward <epol...@wcupa.edu> wrote:
>
> And the poor dears were even "blindsided" by the prof requiring to know
> things from the text that weren't even covered in lecture and which were only
> available in the textbook.

It seems extremely likely that “successful completion” rates are very sensitive
to a number of factors. I think it could be a valid measure of teaching
effectiveness in, for example, some math and science courses—those that require
students to master a set of specific skills and knowledge, especially when the
department uses a nationally standardized test as a final exam (e.g., some
chemistry courses) and the final grade is determined primarily by one’s score
on that exam.

In intro psych, of course, the material covered and the course standards vary
quite a bit among instructors. I’m looking for research on this, not because I
think there will be evidence supporting its validity as a measure of teaching
effectiveness, but because I know that administrators look at the data and may
not know how (or not want to) interpret the results appropriately.

For example, I, too, require a lot of reading (at least, from the students’
viewpoint, not from mine). I have found extremely high correlations (0.60 to
0.65) between total points in my class and scores on two different tests of
reading comprehension. Those correlations are not much less than the estimates
of reliability of the reading tests (about 0.80 to 0.85, if I recall
correctly). Because so many first-year students place into developmental
(remedial) reading classes, I have the lowest successful completion rates of
all five of our full-time psychology instructors.

In fact, I have added a note to my class offerings next semester “strongly
recommending” that students have passed at least the highest
developmental-reading course we offer.

But again, I would appreciate any reference to articles examining the issue of
using successful completion rates to evaluate the effectiveness of instruction.

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology