These are just the ones I've used this semester:

I'm sorry that you will not get your papers back today, my grandchildren have
been visiting, and, as so many of you have told me all semester long, family
time is very important. I will start on them tonight, after my family leaves.

I'm sorry about the condition of your papers. I realize that some of them have
rips, missing corners and tiny holes throughout. My cats got into my briefcase
over night and had a ball. I don't think that they managed to consume any whole
papers, so that cannot explain the few that were missing.

I'm sorry that your papers are drenched in coffee stains. I was at Starbucks
sitting at the counter grading these, when the person next to me knocked over
his coffee right onto my entire pile of your papers.

I'm sorry to delay returning your papers: I ran a 10K on Saturday morning and
spent the rest of the weekend alternating icing and heating my knees, ankles
and hips. But you'll be happy to know that I came in second in my age group.

Annette

ps: And would you believe only 3 grandparents died this semester?

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park