We have a Masters student at York working on the psychometrics of
complicating sex and gender beyond M/F for psychological measures. I'm
excited to see what they develop.

Correspondence analysis <http://www.datavis.ca/courses/grcat/grc5.html> (for
categorical data) or multilevel modeling
<http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~fdominic/teaching/bio656/lectures/1.intro.pdf>
(for mixed designs) would offer viable solutions to include n levels of a
gender variable. Or, you could run it as a regression, if the researcher
had reason to consider (and ability to measure) gender identity as a
continuum or spectrum.

I absolutely would not be interested in interpreting a 5 way (or even 56 way
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/02/13/facebook_custom_gender_options_here_are_all_56_custom_options.html>)
interaction ;)

Arlie

--
Arlie R. Belliveau, MA

History & Theory of Psychology Doctoral Student
York University Department of Psychology
059 Behavioural Science Building
4700 Keele St. Toronto, ON
ar...@yorku.ca
www.arliebelliveau.com