From: Annette Taylor [mailto:tay...@sandiego.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 4:54 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] auditory sensory memory

Hi Tipsters: Sorry for the cross-posting; got no replies so far.

Student questions about auditory sensory memory:
Is there any analogous memory phenomenon for auditory stimuli similar to the
very rare but demonstrated phenomenon of photographic memory? My response to
this was that perhaps perfect pitch might be something like this?

Also is there a concept related to being able to remember a sound after only a
single exposure? This might be important in learning foreign languages but in
other sound contexts as well. I guess it's asking about a type of 1-shot
learning (like conditioned taste aversion).

How does the activity of the hippocampus specifically affect memory in people
with auditory and visual impairments? Is the auditory input necessary for a
complete visual memory? Do auditory and visual inputs coalesce to make a
complete memory or are the two somewhat distinct?

Thanks for any answers!

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Visiting Professor,