Yes, I don't think it would be technically accurate to say that Pavlov and his
colleagues were confusing Operant and Classical Conditioning, given that the
two had not yet been distinguished at that point. You might say they were
generalizing types of conditioning that had not yet been discriminated. From
our more enlightened vantage point :) we can now see the difference but they
didn't refer to it as Pavlovian or Classical Conditioning because there was
just "conditioning" [probably incorrectly translated from Russian] which, as
they noted on one of the cards in the film, that conditioned and unconditioned
reflexes were "the basis of behavior not only in animals but also in man". So
there were only conditioned and unconditioned reflexes. It was only later when
Instrumental/Operant conditioning was identified that a distinction was made
between "Instrumental/Operant" and "Classical/Pavlovian" conditioning.

In another example, Bekhterev originally saw avoidance learning (specifically,
removing your finger from a shock plate when a signal occurred that predicted
shock) as a type of association reflex (he wouldn't have called it Pavlovian
conditioning since he didn't care much for Pavlov or his methods) but later,
the phenomenon of avoidance was identified as a type of operant conditioning
since the behavior operates on the environment to modify the consequences
(removing your finger from the shock pad after hearing the signal meant that
the person didn't experience the shock).

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Professor of Psychology
Box 3519
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479) 524-7295